Every Tuesday morning our home gets flooded with moms and their babies/toddlers. It's a beautifully chaotic few hours that I wouldn't trade for the world. Today, Bella and I decided to made some valentine treats for her little buddies. Bella loves to "help" in the kitchen. These goodies are hard to mess up, which means my 2.5 year old can be my trusty sidekick. And they pair well with a nice fresh cup of coffee...so good.
This recipe was adapted from my favorite cookbook, From Scratch, which you can find here: http://www.amazon.com/The-Elliott-Homestead-Traditional-whole-foods/dp/1484076230
1 cup freshly ground whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup coconut oil, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp real vanilla extract
1 pastured egg
1. Combine the flour, almonds, and coconut in the food processor and blend until broken down into tiny bits.
2. In a separate bowl, stir the coconut oil, sugar, salt, vanilla, and egg.
3. Combine the two mixtures and form a ball. Cover and refrigerate for about an hour.
4. Roll the dough out and use whatever cookie cutter you like to cut out the biscuits.
5. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 7 minutes.